M G Kibria Shimul is a High Court lawyer with 19 years’ extensive experience and expertise both as an advocate and an adviser, particularly in the specialist areas set out below. He appears as an advocate before all courts, tribunals and dispute resolution bodies in specialist areas.
He has strong focus on clients’ commercial aims and interests, and the commercial context in which his assistance is sought. His approach is flexible, but will often ensure early in-depth analysis of the strengths, weaknesses, risks and opportunities involve; assisting in formulating an appropriate strategy; supporting dispute resolution in the most suitable way (including negotiation, mediation, arbitration and litigation); and providing timely and incisive advice on key issues arising in a dispute or potential transaction.
He has experience in a wide variety of sectors, particularly:
- Criminal Law
- Company Law
- Maritime Law
- Property investment and development,
- Real Estate
- Lending and finance,
- International trade and distribution
- Health & Safety
- Transport, public infrastructure, utilities,
- Telecommunications and IT.
Areas of expertise
- In Criminal Law, he deals with the vast majority of serious and high profile cases and are expert in the presentation of cases in court, including Bail, cross-examination of witnesses and legal arguments, legal advice, draft documents, advise on the steps to be taken in proceedings and appeal procedure.
- Property issues and disputes of all types, including: contracts for the acquisition, development and management of land; options and conditional contracts; overage claims; project management and similar contracts; mortgages and other security arrangements, including enforcement disputes; planning and other statutory issues connected with property contracts; leases of all types; landlord and tenant disputes (particularly commercial – including retail, leisure and distribution – and residential); rent reviews; rights over land (including easements, covenants and rights of light); trespass and nuisance claims; disputed asset disposals; estate agency and property-related competition law issues.
- Company, Commercial, equity and financial (including civil fraud) disputes, including: business disputes; company and share acquisitions and valuations; shareholder disputes; disputes with and between directors; rights and disputes over corporate assets and opportunities; fiduciary obligations; charges and other security interests; financial transactions; securitisation arrangements; disputed asset disposals; civil and criminal asset recovery claims; general commercial, banking and finance contracts; commercial agency; evidence gathering for claims overseas; joint ventures; and partnerships.
- Bangladesh Bar Council
- Bangladesh Supreme Court Bar Association
- The Honourable Society of the Inner Temple
- Dhaka Bar Lawyer Association
- Accredited member of The Chartered Institute of Environmental Health (CIEH)
- Bar Professional Training Course, City, University of London
- LL.B (Hons), London Metropolitan University